There won’t be any camps this summer at Camp Sidney Dew, the 81-year-old Boy Scout hideaway in Floyd Springs.

The Northwest Georgia Council Boy Scouts of America board made the decision to shut down all overnight and multi-night camp events during a meeting Thursday morning.

Scout Executive Matt Hart said it was a hard pill to swallow but Camp Sidney Dew is just one of well over 100 Boy Scout camps to shut down for the summer in response to concerns over the spread of COVID-19.

“The governor and CDC have said you can open camps — but our model has it where if a troop comes to camp with 20 folks, whoever they come with they stay with,” Hart said. “So you can’t do things like campfires and ceremonies. You’re taking out the character and a lot of things that folks remember about camp.”

Anyone who has already signed up for a summer camp will be given a full refund of all fees and deposits. For information regarding payments, contact Angela Goodson at 706-235-5545 or by email at angela.goodson@scouting.org.

The Northwest Georgia Council serves approximately 4,000 Scouts spread across seven counties of Northwest Georgia. Camp Sidney Dew has served Scouts from all over the country, even international Scouts. Just last year a large contingent from the United Kingdom spent a week at the camp.

Rome News Tribune