The National Weather Service is now saying that the Chattooga River should crest around 18 feet sometime this evening based on information from the US Geological Survey which monitors water levels across the country.
Earlier today the prediction had been that the river would crest somewhere over 15 feet, however those estimates have risen. Northwest Georgia saw massive amounts of rain overnight which have lead to localized flooding in many areas of Chattooga County.
From the National Weather Service:
THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR
THE CHATTOOGA RIVER NEAR SUMMERVILLE.
* UNTIL LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.
* AT NOON WEDNESDAY THE STAGE WAS 17.2 FEET…AND RISING.
* MODERATE FLOODING WILL CONTINUE.
* FLOOD STAGE IS 14.0 FEET.
* THE RIVER SHOULD CREST AROUND 18 FEET BY THIS EVENING…THEN FALL
BELOW FLOOD STAGE LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.