After pursuing leads for several weeks regarding a variety of thefts and burglaries Dekalb County Investigators have arrested a group of individuals in connection with the theft of a number of four-wheelers and vehicles in the county. Several ATV’s have been recovered, along with a 7 x 12 utility trailer, and two vehicles.
Six individuals were arrested on burglary and theft charges while one person was arrested on a charge of marijuana possession, with all seven then being transported to the DeKalb County Detention Center. Currently there are 22 charges for those individuals and Sheriff Jimmy Harris stated that the scope of the thefts, has expanded into the neighboring states of Tennessee and Georgia, with the Drug Task Force Agents, and Sheriff’s Investigators, recovering some of the vehicles there.
While attempting to recover the ATV’s the agents also found a large amount of marijuana – resulting in the arrest of an additional suspect. Harris said the individuals involved are familiar with one another, and it appears that different members of this group participated in some of the thefts, but not all of them.
Those arrested included:
- 26 year old David Mark Tanner of Sylvania Charged with five counts of Theft of Property 1st Degree (released on $50,000 bond);
- 22 year old Gary Dejuan Higdon of Valley Head Charged with three counts of Theft of Property 1st Degree, one count Theft of Property 2nd Degree, and one count of Burglary 3rd Degree (released on $10,000 bond);
- 20 year old Corey Don Robbins from Rainsville Charged with four counts of Theft of Property 1st Degree, one count of Theft of Property 2nd Degree, and one count Burglary 3rd Degree (he currently remains in jail on $21,000 bond);
- 27 year old Jimmy Ray Walker of Sylvania Charged with two counts of Theft of Property 1st Degree (he remains in jail on $37,678 bond);
- 23 year old Jamie Ray Bates of Sylvania Charged with one count of Receiving Stolen Property 1st Degree, and one count Theft of Property 1st Degree (he remains in jail in on $20,000 bond);
- 22 year old Christopher Allen Guinn of Ft Payne Charged with one count of Theft of Property 1st Degree (released on $10,000 bond);
- 37 year old Craig Bodiford of Rainsville Charged with one count Unlawful Possession of Marijuana 1st Degree (he remains in jail without bond at this time).
Investigators have determined that additional ATV’s had been targeted for theft, but were not taken, because they were heavily secured or chained. Sheriff Harris advises owners to make sure that they have their VIN or serial numbers on file, to assist in the recovery of any merchandise which may be stolen – the investigation in this case continues.