A 13-year-old boy was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta on Saturday after a propane heater at a Floyd County RV park possibly exploded, said Steve Wilson, battalion chief with the Rome-Floyd Fire Department.

Also treated for burns were adult two males and a female, who were taken to Floyd Medical Center by ambulance, Wilson said.

The boy was airlifted because he suffered burns to his face, Wilson said. None of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening, Wilson said.

The incident occurred at the Fosters Mill RV Park, 3264 Fosters Mill Road.

Wilson said the boy was fell in a creek near the RV park and had gone inside to get warm. When those with him tried to light the propane heater, it apparently exploded, possibly due to a leak, Wilson speculated.

The RV also received some damage.

Witnesses at the RV park said they overheard a woman saying, "Don’t light that heater, I smell gas," just before the explosion.

RNT