For the past several Holiday seasons, the Chattooga County Historical Society has offered a Christmas ornament featuring a historical place in the county.  This year, the society’s ornament features the historic Lyerly Dam.

The Lyerly Dam will be celebrating 100 years since it was rebuilt in 2023.  Back in 1923, the dam brought electricity to the Town of Lyerly.
The Lyerly Dam was built by Mr. James S. Owings when he started the Chattooga River Power Company. The dam was used to generate hydroelectric power and was built in 1919 and first generated power in 1920. One month after electricity production began the dam was severely damaged by a flood but was repaired and back online in two weeks. In 1923 Mr. Owings built a concrete dam across the river of which some portions still exist and can be seen from the Lyerly Dam bridge
The ornaments can be purchased at Lyerly City Hall, DIRT in downtown Summerville and Sweet P’s at the Tavern in Trion. It can also be purchased via mail on the Chattooga County Historical Soceity website www.chattoogahistory.org/store
Previous ornaments are also available and include: The Summerville Depot, The Chattooga County Courthouse, The Riegeldale Tavern, and Alpine Church.