Local firefighters responded to a call about a chimney fire on Tuesday night.

The fire broke out in the area of Halls Valley Drive in the Northeastern part of Chattooga County.  Trion firefighters were able to stop the fire from spreading into the main structure of the home.  The Summerville Fire Department and Hays Correctional Fire Department also responded to the scene.

As the winter season comes to a close, those who use wood-burning stoves and fireplaces are reminded to regularly inspect their chimneys and flues.

According to the latest statistics available, there are over 25,000 chimney fires per year in the US that are responsible for approximately 125 million dollars in property damage.

No photo description available. May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoors – Pictures from Trion Fire Department Facebook page.