LAFAYETTE HIGH SCHOOL HAS BEEN GIVEN THE "ALL CLEAR" OF MERCURY CONTAMINATION… ACCORDING TO SCHOOL SYSTEM SPOKESPERSON, ELAINE WOMACK.
   

THE SYSTEM HIRED AN ENVIRONMENTAL CONTRACTOR TO TEST AND CLEAN SEVERAL AREAS OF THE HIGH SCHOOL, AFTER STUDENTS SPILLED A SMALL QUANTITY OF TOXIC MERCURY.   WHILE THE SCHOOL WAS CLOSED FOR A WEEK ON THANKSGIVING BREAK, THE CONTRACTOR FINISHED THE REMEDIATION JOB… AND THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY RETURNED FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF TESTING… DECLARING THE ENTIRE SITE "CLEAR" OF MERCURY, AND SAFE TO USE.
   

SCHOOL OFFICIALS BELIEVE A STUDENT TOOK THE SMALL AMOUNT OF MERCURY FROM A LAB, WITHOUT PERMISSION.  IT PASSED THROUGH THE HANDS OF SEVERAL STUDENTS BEFORE THE SPILL WAS DISCOVERED.  ONLY ONE STUDENT WAS TREATED FOR SERIOUS EXPOSURE TO THE TOXIC SUBSTANCE, ACCORDING TO ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH.