1. Keep your radio or television tuned to a local station (AM 1180 Chattooga County Radio or SKY 21 Television) to keep informed of current weather conditions and forecasts. You may also monitor the AM 1180 Web Site or the Summerville News website.
2. Be prepared at home by keeping adequate supplies: heating fuel, non-perishable food, clean water, flashlights with extra batteries, first aid supplies, extra blankets, and a battery powered radio. A fire extinguisher is also recommended for year-round use, if needed, in your home.
3. Keep some kind of emergency heating equipment and fuel on hand so you can keep at least one room of your house livable in case your power is off. Keep the room ventilated to avoid buildup of toxic fumes.
4. Stay indoors as much as possible. If you must go outdoors, dress warm in loose-fitting, layered, lightweight clothing. Your outer garment should be water repellent. Avoid overexertion from walking to get supplies.
5. Driving conditions might be hazardous, so use precaution while driving.